Nuclear and Uranium
India Greens Party is of the opinion that there is no need for nuclear power, weapons or mining. Future generations must not be burdened with toxic nuclear waste for which there is no safe disposal.
India Greens Party believes that:
- The world should be free of nuclear weapons and the nuclear fuel chain.
- There is a strong link between the mining and import/export of uranium and nuclear weapons proliferation.
- The use of nuclear weapons, nuclear accidents or attacks on reactors pose unacceptable risk of catastrophic consequences.
- Future generations must not be burdened with dangerous levels of radioactive waste.
- Nuclear power is not a safe, clean, timely, economic or practical solution to reducing global greenhouse gas emissions.
India Greens Party wants:
- A nuclear-free world.
- Cessation of uranium/thorium mining and export/import.
- Medical support and compensation provided to workers occupationally exposed to radiation.
- Compensation for the victims of the nuclear weapon-testings.
- Rehabilitation of nuclear test sites.
- Removal of all facilities which enable deployment of nuclear weapons.
- Prohibition of food irradiation and the importation of such food.
- Prohibition of the importation and reprocessing of international nuclear waste and fuel rods.
- Safe, long-term containment of existing nuclear waste and the phasing out of the generation of new nuclear waste.
- Elimination of nuclear weapons, through a commitment to legally binding instruments to prohibit nuclear weapons.
- To support the creation of nuclear weapon free zones, municipalities and ports.
- Prohibition of nuclear power plants and the promotion of safe, ecologically sustainable energy options.